Thursday, October 26, 2006


i believe......

A dear friend shared this with me. Please read this very slowly... it's a keeper for sure. There are so many truths in it.

I believe that no matter how good a friend is, they're going to hurt you every once in awhile and you must forgive them for that.

I believe that true friendship continues to grow, even over the longest distance. The same goes for true love.

I believe that you can do something in an instant that will give you heartache for life.

I believe that it's taking me a long time to become the person I want to be.

I believe that you should always leave loved ones with loving words... it may be the last time you see them.

I believe that you can keep going long after you can't.

I believe that we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel.

I believe that either you control your attitude or it controls you.

I believe that regardless of how hot and steamy a relationship is at first, the passion fades and there had better be something else to take its place.

I believe that heroes are the people who do what has to be done, when it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences.

I believe that money is a lousy way to keep score.

I believe that my best friend and I can do anything or nothing and have the best time.

I believe that sometimes the people you expect to kick you when you're down, will be the ones to help you get back up.

I believe that sometimes when I'm angry I have the right to be angry, but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel.

I believe that just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

I believe that maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them, and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated.

I believe that it isn't always enough to be forgiven by others, sometimes you have to learn to forgive yourself.

I believe that no matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn't stop for your grief.

I believe that our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.

I believe that just because two people argue, it doesn't mean they don't love each other; and just because they don't argue, it doesn't mean that they do.

I believe that you shouldn't be so eager to find out a secret.... it could change your life forever.

I believe that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different.

I believe that your life can be changed in a matter of hours by people who don't even know you.

I believe that even when you think you have no more to give, when a friend cries out to you, you will find the strength to help.

I believe that credentials on the wall do not make you a decent human being.

I believe that the people you care about most in life are taken from you too soon.

I believe that you should send this to all the people that you believe in. I just did.
In all things... know that your God is with you.


13 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

I am a firm believer in the leaving people with loving words. I am always paranoid that they or I will die and that will be the last words between us.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

myutopia~
I agree with you, and that's why I always say I Love You to the very closest people in my heart.

2:37 PM  
Blogger awareness said...

Hi Ellen..........

I have sent a link to your blog to some friends at here at work. It's past quitting time, so they will open it up tomorrow with an "Love you" attached to it.

Beautiful and important messages summed up in a word I just learned the true meaning of.....humbling :)

Enjoy your evening. I'm carving pumpkins with my little pumpkins. Well, I'm doing the pumpkin gut cleaning etc (the little wooosssiees) and they will be directing me. Maybe we'll put stick antlers on one of them and turn it into a deer!!

We'll be snacking on pumpkin seeds tomorrow......yummy!

4:00 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

That is so beautiful. :)

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was really good...thanks for sharing it. My son and I say I love you several times a day.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

All of these ring true to me. Some got me a bit misty too- like the "hero" one. We all added the "Love you" to end our conversations after my mother passed on, also.
So many memories in those "believe" lines- Thanks for posting it-

The one that hit me upside the head today was:
"I believe that you can keep going long after you can't."
because it describes my job this week- after I almost broke my arm (I'm pretty bruised up) cause I can't believe I made it through what I needed to do the past couple days- n did!
I believe I amazed myself...

12:08 AM  
Blogger The Harbour of Ourselves said...

i can't find words to express how much this post meant to me, really i can't - reminded me of how much i beat myself up because i wasn't around when my gran died - i never got to say i love you or goodbye

1:54 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Have a wonderful weekend!
~xo

2:07 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

awareness~
Thank you for passing the words along. Perhaps if more people take them to heart, they might feel less entitled.

How did the pumpkin carving go? We decided against it this year, as I get too busy and forget about it rotting on the front steps. Needless to say, it finally gets chucked into the ivy in the backyard long after it has fallen apart. I did put out some plastic pumpkin heads on stakes in between my flowers out front instead. It looks kind of neat to have these little smiling faces peek out from under the impatiens. I rather like the idea of the antlers you thought of. That's very creative.

************

Skye~
Thanks, sweetie. I liked the picture of the "bat" moon on your blog. Wherever did you find that?

************

barbara~
Good words are always worth sharing, and I'm always glad to pass any along. Saying I Love You to the ones that matter in your life is like breathing fresh air. I never hear it enough, and always feel I never say it enough.
Your son will forever remember those words from you. You are a very good mother.

************

snaggle~
I found myself akin to a lot of those words... and it slapped me upside the head that my life was so much like the words. I guess my experience in life so far has put me into that realm... I just needed to have them simply spelled out to understand the path.

It is truly amazing that you can continue on long after you've thought you can't. Early motherhood was a lesson in endurance.... those long sleepless nights, etc. Now it is just getting through the day, and a long job on my feet. Of course, the tootsies are screaming at me in the morning, and I'm hobbling around, but I did make it through somehow. Whatever did you do to almost make you break your arm?

By the way... I got your beautiful note today... lucky me, I have an original snaggle litho! Too cool!

************

harbor~
You may have physically not been around to say goodbye, but I'm sure she knew the love you possessed for her.

Both my Parents and Grandparents died, and I never had a chance to say goodbye either... but I knew they felt all the love I had for them. Deep down, I just knew.

My Mom died of complications from a stroke at the age of 48 (just one year younger than I am now) and she was alone in a hospital at the time. We did go in to say goodbye a day before, but she was deep inside a coma at the time. My Dad died from a massive heart attack while in a VA nursing home. Since he was suffering from dementia, I don't think he knew who I was when I called him a week before. The heart attack came as a big surprise to us.

My Mom and I didn't really get along too well until I moved out of the house a year before her stroke... then we were best buddies. Her ailment devestated me, as I felt we didn't have enough time to get to really know one another. But I had to forgive myself, and admit that it was the best year we had together... and I knew she knew that. My Dad was always my hero... and I was his "sweetie-pie" (only girl and all)... so our love for one another was solid from the moment I was born.

You'll see, when you get older... you will start to quote your Gran... and then you will know she had a great impact on your life, and the love she gave you goes on to another generation. It's the gift she gave to you... the passing of good advice and words.

************

lee ann~
You too sweetie! Hope you are not drowning out with all the rain heading in from the MS River. Take care... and I hope you are feeling better!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Rainbow dreams said...

Thanks for this Ellen, just back from holiday ~ so many truths in it -
"I believe that no matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn't stop for your grief." it strikes me time and again how transient we are, and how special the moment is, and indeed the world keeps on turning regardless - thank God or we'd all stop it continually... excuse my rambling on your post, and thanks, Katie

6:58 PM  
Blogger wes said...

Great list! Truer words have never been spoken. :)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

That is beautiful! It swept me up like few things can. Thank you so much.

Ya' know... it's kind of funny really, when I think back not too long ago. I might have read this and deduced that it's nothing but a bunch of hooey. The irony is that some of this addresses even that!

I believe that either you control your attitude or it controls you.

I believe that it's taking me a long time to become the person I want to be.

And others… but I would never have heard the message. I had to live so much of what these truths are before I had any chance of believing them, let alone embrace them.

I believe that you can keep going long after you can't.

I believe that money is a lousy way to keep score.

I don’t often wonder “what if,” it serves no useful purpose. I am slowly becoming the person I want to be while the bar is simultaneously rising. Perfection is impossible, but progression towards it drives me today.

I believe that maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them, and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated.

Everyone has their own pace and their own path. Everyday is an adventure and I am so glad that tomorrow is a new day!

1:20 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

rainbow dreams~
Feel free to ramble on anytime you'd like. I enjoy reading the comments I get here, as I learn something new from everyone who stops by.

Yes, I believe all of the sayings here were words I always knew were true... I just needed them listed to see the black and white of the situation. No matter our circumstances in life... tomorrow is another day, and the world still goes on.

************

wes~
Thanks. I agree whole-heartedly.

************

mike~
Funny how age and time experiences find a way to sand off the rough edges of our youth entitlement.

As always, your response made me think about the meanings of the sayings once more... a deeper sense into what drives a person to do what they will. I came away a lot smarter after your response.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home