Wednesday, November 22, 2006


















holiday feasting and giving thanks........

Tomorrow will be a day for most of us to gather with family or friends.... to get on with the process of turkey carving, and giving thanks that all who made it to the table will be richly rewarded with that favorite part of the big bird we place in front of us. We will then loosen the top buttons of our pants as we settle in to watch the parade or football games that will be playing continuously on TV for hours. As we root for our favorite team to win, or best float of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.... we will know that snoozing is part of the process, indeed it is expected.

The trip back to our respective abodes will be sent with many well wishes of a safe travel on sketchy road conditions for some.... all the while knowing that the care package sent with us will provide snacks for a midnight raid on our refrigerators later. Another holiday looms it's presence one short month later, and we force ourselves to get up in the wee hours Friday morning to stand guard at the local Walmart to snatch that coveted gift..... to perfect in price to not sacrifice some sleep over.

Not me. For the last twelve years, I have passed over the Thanksgiving holiday. I have sent off hubby and son to relatives to enjoy, while I turned up the Christmas carols on the radio, and took out the baking pans to make cookies and breads. I chose to be alone. It wasn't that I was not thankful for all I had, or all I had accomplished... rather it was a day I could reflect on all I had learned from a master. It was my homage to my Mom, who passed away on Thanksgiving in 1978. I get a little weepy still on Thanksgiving... and given my nature of not losing all control in front of people, I like to weep alone as well. I don't do puffy face well in front of people.

This year will be a little different though, as I plan to make the trip up to Sylvania, Alabama, where my sister-in-law has the honors of making the feast for the whole family. Being in their company, and joining in with their wit and laughter is the best medicine, I have found. The banter is friendly, the company a blessing in itself, and the food (traditionally) a whole family participation event. No one person does everything.... we all contribute with our favorite dishes that wouldn't make it Thanksgiving without. There are no embarrassing moments, no fights, no awkward moments. Only laughter rings from the table... except in the moments when everybody is stuffing their mouths with more delectable goodies. I won't have time to think about anything other than I have made the right decision to come along this time. I can save the weepy moments for later.... like I will the cookies and breads. All things will get done in due time.... and I will have another wonderful memory of the good people in my life to tuck away.

To all who celebrate.... to all who struggle with the turkey to get it carved just right... and to all who overstuff themselves.......... have a wonderful and safe holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

9 Comments:

Blogger awareness said...

The feeling that you have conveyed here describes the essence of home. It is a sense of belonging and a connection to people in your life who matter.......

I'll be thinking of you Ellen knowing that it in the middle of your day of surrounding yourself with the best that the spirit of "home" has to offer, there will be a few "mom" moments........ Happy Thanksgiving.

Dana

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thansgiving 'puffy face'

Its strange how we both thought about mom at the same time. I just wrote to Cindy out in Texas...my long lost Lesbian Girlfreind and went over the days events with her for tomorrow. After I make a small breakfast of cinnamon rolls and blueberry muffins, I will head over to the cemetary with the boys and say a few kind and thankfull words. It is only fitting. Remember...there is peace in everything. We just need to see it.

Then its back home to start the Turkey which is always one of my favorite dinners to make. This year Joey is my helping hand as we stuff and roast the bird. And of course all the trimmings. The Macy's Parade will fill the background and a crackling fire for "Snickers" to rest in front of will be tended too all day long.

I remember the holiday's past when we would venture to Boston with our fresh turkey from the farm in Stonington Conn and how we would spend hours at the table. If you recall one year we sat down at noon and got up at midnight. That's a lot of Pepto Bismal!

Dispite the political ramifacations that hung over the table like a rain cloud waiting to burst, we all had a wonderful time. Family gathered and we ate very well to say the least.

I make it a point to see the best in everything. And more so these days since my sons see the world through my eyes.And being thankfull has so much to do with it. Joey is thrilled at the idea we are descendents of the Mayflower so I will include this in our days events. And Andrew is thrilled I give him more adult responsibilities. Hopefully these too will be memorable events they can look back on.

May you and Charles and Chris enjoy your day.

Happy Thanksgiving

Love Karl

2:32 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Happy Thanksgiving sweetie!
Have fun and be safe!
~xo

8:03 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

Happy Thanksgiving.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Rainbow dreams said...

Happy Thanksgiving Ellen

12:14 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Happy Gobbles!
I hope your trip was safe n fun. It's good to over-write tough memory days sometimes. Good for you changing the usual habit.

I'm back home n ours was good. I did have to drive in that nasty rain-storm, but got to see many missed faces.

Everyone was real happy to see I brought my mom's (n her mom's) famous Thanksgiving dinner rolls- giving us all our misty thoughts of many Feasts before- It just isin't the day without them for me. I've felt a need to kneed them every year in her honor.
I hope my grandchildren continue the tradition someday n remember me!
What food did you bring?

1:34 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

awareness~
Very true. This year even the thought of making the 2 hour trip didn't daunt the fact that I just wanted to be away from home for the day. We were so busy with so many other things that I really didn't have much time to do anything other than have fun.
I saved my Mom moments for Friday, and made the best cookies, breads, and brownies ever this year. But alas... I have much more to go... as well as putting the boxes for mail-outs together. I need a longer vacation... that's for sure!

************

karl~
I remember all too well the trips to Stonington to pick out the turkey. I was always so amazed at how we could get the turkeys to gobble on cue. Good times!

I hope all your plans worked out well, and that you all had a wonderful holiday celebration.... and I think it's nice that you stopped by to see Mom and Dad. I hope you said a few words for me as well.

So Snickers had "fire duty", huh? I hope he fed well on turkey for all his efforts.

************

lee ann~
Hope your turkey day was great too, sweetie!

************

skye & M.~
I haven't made it over to your blog yet, but did you make a big turkey to celebrate... or did they make you work? Hope you had the day off!

************

rainbow dreams~
Thank you for your wishes on this holiday. Does the UK celebrate any kind of thanksgiving?

************

snaggle~
Yup.... something in my heart told me to re-write the whole script of the day, and I'm very happy I did.
Only so sorry you had to drive through nasty weather to celebrate yours... but am glad the truck held up well for the journey.

How nice of you to bring your Mom's rolls. I remember you mentioning them last year, and how it was tradition in your family. It does mean a lot to have certain foods at the table that represent recipes of the people who have passed on.
As far as food I brought... cheesecake, chocolate cake, beverages, and broccoli casserole. I cheated this year and did the store bought stuff for the cakes (as I didn't have any time to put anything together myself), but hubby made the most delicious broccoli casserole from scratch.

I did have the honors of trimming the turkey... but that's because nobody else wants to anyway. After all... I do that for a living, and they feel intimidated when I'm around. Silly... but then I know the feeling, as hubby is an ex-chef, and I feel pretty intimidated whenever I cook for him.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hey sweetie...hope all is well!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving. I love the sesame street pictures. Very cute.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home