Tuesday, August 14, 2007


what a difference a day makes.......
The odd thing about life is that we are constantly reminded to look for the silver lining or gold brick road in every situation we encounter. Some days are harder than others when it seems that the world (or to some, God) is against you, and those moments are defined by some sort of ethereal bad luck cloud hanging over your head. I've known some people that suffer from bad luck... heck, if they didn't have bad luck, they'd have no luck at all. These are people I think of when in the cleansing period of my tantrums. I am programmed to think of some situation worse than my own, which in turn becomes my spiritual benedryl fix. If I didn't have that survival chip implanted at birth (thanks, Mom and Dad!), I'd certainly go mad, for it's the saving grace of my sanity.
There is a cliche about seeing the forest through the trees, and somehow it applies well when one is driven to frustration and anger. We can't see the forest because those big old trees are in the way.... and who knows what's lurking in the shadows there. We forget to step out of the situation and see the picture as a whole, because... after all, we're mad as hell.... and the blinders have gone up. If we can work ourselves past the trees, the goal of the yellow brick road is more attainable. It's not easy with it's demanding schedule, but it is a gain for our karma box when we learn how to count to ten again, or take that deep sigh and forge forward. A simple breath, a simple count, and a straighter head for making the tough decisions. First and foremost: calm down and assess. Then proceed with grace.
The best part of the journey is the friends you make along the way: the heart, the brains, and the courage that walk alongside. Without them the journey is soulless, for it lacks any connection..... and as humans, that is part of our genetic make-up. We may find that solitude can be the garden where we do our best thinking, but with no one ever to share our journey, we become recluse and reckless to our own spirit..... a path of self destruction, if you ask me.
I am fortunate to know many people, and at times they become my heart, brains, and courage along the way.... and we all know how great it can be when someone else takes the helm once in awhile. We may take long breaks from one another, but there is a bonus in that as well. Oh what stories we can tell, and what laughs we have when once connected again...... not to forget the experiences we take away.
That's all life really is.... lessons that grow from the shadows of the trees, and a yellow brick road that leads you to your personal Oz. Tripping over the potholes is a possibility.... heck, it's almost designed that way. However, the friends who skip down the road with you, and pull you back from those thoughtless apple throwing trees make the journey worth the trip. Besides, they have your back when you come up against the nefarious wizards who lurk behind curtains.... or the green faced witches trodden with jealousy. For me, I am thankful that I know some of the most wonderful people who have ever walked the face of the earth..... they have made my journey fruitful in many ways, and still put up with my moments of mad tantrums from time to time. That's a good friend.
Life is back to normal...... I surrendered, took a breathe, and called a friend for help. The computer is now working again, my temper securely back in place. What a difference a day makes..........

17 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Now, just click your heals together 3 times and say.....

*giggle*

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

7:13 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

I don't know what I'd do with out my few closest friends, be lost I guess.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Rainbow dreams said...

am pleased the computer is back and running... technology drives me to distraction at times...

wonderful to see you back - I am sneaking time to read this and comment...:) and am sending you some of the rain we've had here the past 48 hours so you don't have to sneak out to keep your garden alive anymore...
thanks for your comments... have we missed your birthday?
Katie

12:37 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
.... and repeat to my self: there's no place like home... click, click, click......

Many thanks to you, my friend, for my sanity was restored during our 4 hour ordeal. Love ya to death!

************

skye~
You betcha! Without them, we are lost. I am so glad that I've met such a great batch of them here on the blog. When not traveling around the city schlepping food, the best part of my day is to come home and jump into blogland for awhile.

How is the weather there in SF?

************

katie~
Many thanks for the rain thoughts... how we need them desperately. I've just found out that our watering days have gone down to zero.... no legal watering at all. Bummer!

No you haven't missed it yet... next Monday, and I'll be officially considered a senior citizen at 50. Bummer, again.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

*blush* Anytime mom :)

7:35 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Pimpin' Ellen's stats! ;)

6:31 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

No, I didn't get to read this before posting my rainbow pic or newer post this week "There's No Place like..." (really)!
Such parrallels are proof to me of the fate of our kindredship- which has been so missed all summer during my dis-communicato state of loneliness.
It's very difficult to do without the pals once you're used to this connected life, then getting shut-off involuntarily.
Getting my machine back was my pot of gold, full of good friends like you n these other great blogger folks.
May those yellow cobblestones lead where you want to go!

4:58 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I've been there. I'm sorry you were having probs. One of my friends had serious issues with HIS laptop today and he's been over here trying to fix it. I really struggled with it, but got it wiped and the new Windows XP installed on it (it had been limping along for a while) but now he's in the other room arguing with someone in the tech dept over the wireless router connection...

4:03 PM  
Blogger X said...

Heya El! It's been awhile!!! I miss ya babe!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hope you have a super weekend, but you must come visit me at the Castle and watch me dance....I am doing it just for you!
~xo
Lee Ann

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, when you're right in the middle of it there seems like no way out, but 24 hours later.....a whole new perspective.
Cheers

4:49 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
~XO
LEE ANN
11.22.07

4:28 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

looks like you haven't posted in forever either. thinking of you.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Merry xmas! *hugs*

4:44 AM  
Blogger Skye said...

Thinking of you. Peace, Love and Hope.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hey! I miss you too.
Have a very merry Christmas Ellen!
~xo
Lee Ann

1:22 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Have a wonderful 2008!
~xo
Lee Ann
01.01.08

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home