Sunday, April 08, 2007


all dressed up........
The season never changed from year to year, only the size of the clothes, as Easter was a signal that you would get a new outfit to wear........... officially packing away the heavy winter gear of boots and heavy coats. It was my favorite time, as I was dressed to kill in my new dress, bonnet, shoes and gloves. For a fashionista like me, Easter meant new wardrobe. But that was then, and this is now.
For a lapsed Catholic as myself, Easter no longer means clothes..... and it doesn't have too much of the organized religion thing tied into it. Oh, I still like the bunny magic, chocolate eggs, and marshmallow peeps..... but how can one not when every store you walk into has them bursting in the aisles? Yet I walk past them and poo-poo on to the necessary items I need. I have to admit, the smells alone from the aisles are intoxicatingly sweet..... but when you spend 3 months working hard to get rid of the middle age tire around your waist, chocolate bunnies are reserved for those that can eat a whale and never show an ounce. I did falter last night, and ate my first piece of dessert in months. For a self proclaimed sweet tooth as myself, I had a hard time ignoring the cries from the kitchen from that luscious red velvet cake sitting right next to a new gallon of skim milk in the refrigerator. Can there be any more oxy-moronish moments than that? And, of course, I found myself rewarding my good behavior with a nice big slab of red deliciousness.... promising that I'd mow the lawn to take the calories off today. That seems fair, doesn't it?
I no longer buy clothes.... and have actually just revisited my closet for the sizes I had packed away that I thought would no longer fit. How nice and convenient that my shopping travels led me to the most comfortable place on earth for me: my own room. Pretty soon, I will don the ecrudiments of comfortable jeans, a heavy sweatshirt (because of the silly cold snap in our area), and a pair of yard shoes so that I can get out into the much neglected gardens of my yard. The lawn needs a new crabgrass cut, the flowers a look-see for damage (due to the arctic weather visit), and holes covered from the pesky squirrels looking for food. I will not go to Sunday services as other people do, but I will attend a church of higher calling for me.
For those that celebrate the holiday, may your life be filled with many Easter moments, chocolate bunnies, and marshmallow peeps. All others, Happy Spring!

11 Comments:

Blogger Skye said...

If you need any help I know one little bunny who thinks he's the best at mowing the yard! I got the Sunrise service as we were calling it a night, it was nice. Happy Spring!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Yes, I could use a real live bunny in the yard to mow for me.... only one who is trained in dodging the neighborhood cats who hunt here. I'd hate to see anything bad happen.... and am not good at leftovers from cat buffets.

I did go out to mow yesterday... and get in touch with the Spring of it all. Let's face it, what better day to pray to the Gods of critters for no surprise visits when my grass was great foliage for snakes. Hubby laughed at me and said that it was even too cold for snakes to be out. Is it cold in California?

11:25 AM  
Blogger john said...

Eellen :Happy Easter ! You guys mow the lawn over in Georgia ? Over here , it's still TOO cold STILL to do the cutTing of the grass.The spring is looking more like extended winter.Anyhow,it's nice to see the white stuff are gone.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - It's funny you mention that about clothes and easter. That subject came up at one of my friend's house yesterday. We were joking about how when you get older you really never bother anymore. You adopt the "Ah it's clean," approach. ;)

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

8:24 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Happy post-Egg-ercise hunt!
Hope you recovered nicely from the goody-relapse! I kept going on mine, cause I saw the dauy-after 50% off dark-choc bunny at the market-woops!
I know it'll all be burnt off by 7pm at work the morrow-

Wish it was springly here- no indications yet! Much clean-up out there waiting on me, too cold!

Have a good week-

2:37 AM  
Blogger The Harbour of Ourselves said...

sometimes nightmares appear during the light of day....god is a bit like that in my book

good to see you back

6:48 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hope you had a wonderful Easter.
I think we are about to get our Spring back, the weather will be warming up soon.
Have a great week Ellen.
~xo

10:33 PM  
Blogger wes said...

Happy belated Easter!

When I was much younger, I would always get clothes on Easter, which I was never that crazy about. But as I got older I realized that it was a good thing because I always needed new summer clothes each year because last year's were either too small or completely destroyed. :)

3:02 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

john~
We never did get snow this winter.... but then we never really do get it anyway. Our winter was so mild we hardly had one at all..... as a mater of fact, it's been colder here the last few days than it had been through the winter... and we have all our bushes and trees in full bloom. I have already mowed twice, and it's looking like I may have to get out again this weekend. That crabgrass is a fast grower.

************

neo~
I am fast approaching that attitude, because I get tired of the washer running all the time. Luckily my son knows how to do laundry, so he does pitch in.... but only when he really NEEDS something. Thank goodness he throws my stuff in, and doesn't just do his stuff. I'd have to consider charging rent if he didn't help out once in a while, but he's pretty good about doing his chores.

************

snaggle~
I used to scour the stores the day after for the markdowns too, but now have been pretty good about leaving all chocolate alone. I did have a moment of weakness last night at the grocery store, and bought an apple pie (that grabbed me while I was walking past it). How could I resist?

We've had a cold snap here too, and it feels funny to be putting the coat on after our 86 degree weather. My brother tells me that he has snow on the ground in NH, and is still shoveling the stuff. Hope it warms up for y'all up there!

************

paul~
I've had a few of those myself, and usually have to slap myself to get over it. Not hard, mind you, but enough to get on with getting on. I like to suffer my breakdowns in the solace of my room where no one can hear or see me. Then the flood gates open.

Glad to be back... or at least as much as I can be for now.

Take care, sweetie.

************

lee ann~
We're still at the cold point in our weird Spring. First it was warm, then hot, now cold again. The poor bushes that had new growth will need to be pruned out, as the cold snap destroyed the new shoots, and it looks pretty bad. I'm glad to see that B-ham is warming up though.

Hope your week is wonderful, adn filled with good things!

************

wes~
So good to see you.... and I apoligize for not commenting after reading over at your blog. You've moved! Congrats on the big change in your life!

Yeah, clothes.... we never appreciate them much when we were younger, but love them when we get older. I noticed that my son has become a real fashionista lately... but then he has to be for his job. He now works at Abecrombie & Fitch, and they encourage their associates to wear the clothes. Good thing they give him a nice discount... but then, the mark-up is pretty high in the first place.

Take care, and I will be over soon to read!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Happy belated Easter. I got TONS of new clothes for the spring season. Everyone at my work says I am a whole new woman : ) Hopefully that is a good thing.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

myutopia~
Yes, that is a good thing! Nothing better than having a new wardrobe to ponder through. I'm loving the fact that I am working my way back down through the sizes... it makes me feel like a new woman.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home