Thursday, February 15, 2007


the mayonnaise jar & two cups of coffee........
When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the two cups of coffee.
A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.
The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar, shaking the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open spaces between the golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed it was.
The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "yes".
The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.
"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things..... your family, your children, your health, your friends, and your favorite passions. If everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.
The pebbles are the other things that matter.... like your job, your house, and your car.
The sand is everything else..... the small stuff. If you put the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.
Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical check-ups. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first.... the things that really matter. Set your priorities as the rest is just sand."
One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hmmm, why didn't he use tea?!

I just hope I don't drop the jar, n break it...

A grand analogy, just the same! Thankyou for reminding me...

5:48 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

snaggle~
My thought exactly about the tea use, as that would have been my choice.

As far as dropping the jar.... it's just a matter of holding tight with gentle hands; and I have no doubt you do have gentle hands for you have a big heart and plenty of spare karma. Now klutzy old me.... that's another story altogether.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Deep......

5:41 PM  
Blogger BKS said...

Very good story ....just out blogsurfing and the wave brought me by here via Lee Ann's comment section....off to surf some more. Have a great weekend!!

12:00 AM  
Blogger awareness said...

I LOVE that story!!

I will fill it with tea too.

take care Ellen...........and one day we'll have a chance to talk about sand and pebbles and golf balls over a pot of tea!! Then, I'll bring out the wine and we can talk about the hailstones, and volleyballs and the big shiny orbs in our lives!!!

I think I'd put a couple of crushed petals in there too........just for colour and fragrance.....

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story Ellen;

If only we could all see life in the same simple terms as the professor did. However "ambition' gets in the way all too aften and leads us into the 'sand.'

Have a nice weekend!

Love Karl

8:31 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
It's all a matter of perspectives and perceptions, isn't it? All the rest is just sand.

************

bks~
Thanks for stopping by to say hello. I'm sure we all join in and wish Lee Ann a speedy recovery from her nasty cold.
Wishing you a great weekend as well!

************

awareness~
This was sent to me in an e-mail, and was asked of me to share it to all my friends. What better place than the blog, eh?

What a lovely addition with the crushed petals... not only does it add color, but fragarence and a sense of earth.

As far as solving the worlds problems and curveballs... you're on. I would like to add my friend Snaggle and brother Karl to the mix. Snaggle has a gentle soul, and my brother is just too damn smart.... and funny. He would be essential to keep us laughing non-stop. And, oh, and the stories he can tell.... we would probably need adult diapers.

Care to invite anyone else.... say Paul, Pip or Mike?

************

karl~
Yeah, that pesky ambition thing.... why does it always lead us into the "quick"sand?
Over the years though (and I'm not sure if it's age, wisdom, or the fact that I'm too over fighting the stupid stuff) I find myself letting go of the little things more often. The sand is hard to manuever, never stable, and scratches up the floors (and we all know my OCD tendencies of clean floors!)

Funny thing is, sand used to consume my life.... and then I had a revelation (somewhere back in 2005) that golfballs were much easier and more important to handle. Or it could be menopause.

8:59 AM  
Blogger awareness said...

Sounds like a party! Let's invite them all and my husband, James. Like Karl, he's a very funny man......and can make up words to old songs while juggling!!

I'll set the table...........you bring the flowers from your secret garden.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

awareness~
Deal... I have just the daffodils to brighten the table, and those much needed diapers for the laughs!

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal.

You got that right :)

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home