Friday, August 10, 2007


it's about time.......
Well then........ isn't EVERYTHING "about" time? Time enough to get things done; time enough to complete your day by sitting back and sighing relief as you check off the many layers of duties you set up for yourself when the dawn first cracked hours earlier. Yeah, sure. Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve the Atta-boy reward.... heck, you worked hard enough for it, didn't you. Oh..... if only I could be humble enough to accept it, but this is not the case for me, for I have cheated and stolen moments when I could.
Yes, I have been busy..... but everyone else has too. How they keep up with everyday life AND blogging is still a mystery for me. I folded under the pressures of the day and let blogging slip to the side. (I had to fold somewhere, didn't I?) It had nothing to do with slighting anyone or not caring about the new friends I venture to.....it was all about the short 24 hours the day holds. All until today that is. I pushed the work, renovations, ringing phone, family, favorite shows....... (my life in general), all to the margins and decided that a catch-up was in order. Not blogging throws you off the radar, and gets you dismembered from this special little cyberspace club.... and three months away practically guarantees you a headstone.
So rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated.... and a trip to Mars was not where I headed either. However (on that note) I have traveled to Hell ....or at least the perception I was left with from my Catholic childhood. It is truly HOT here in Atlanta, and the constant traveling in and out of buildings (from cold to hot, to cold, to hot (endlessly), day in and day out) has left me with some wonderful migraine headaches and a feeling of clammy worn-outness. By noon, you can literally wipe the floor with the remains of me. Afternoon quickie snoozes and a few naproxins down the throat, and I felt better enough to do my catering duties, but with little to no brain cells left for thinking or putting two coherent words together to write anything here. Sorry, it wasn't anything personal.... just personal to me. And, of course on my good days, I spent time with my other personal demon: renovations. Yes.... renos again (like I don't get enough with the amount of HGTV I watch.... I have to emulate.)
The good news is that we have been busy with caterings as well..... the bad news is that we have been busy with caterings. A double-edged, multi-dimensional quagmire that still pays the bills, and leaves me with little time to play. Well, let me clarify that just a tad. I still get to play (here and there), but not as much as I used to before I actually owned a business. But I have to admit, this is still the best job (and longest employment) I've ever held anywhere. This June marked my 10th anniversary with this venture.... not too shabby considering I've had a myriad of work opportunities that didn't pan out. It has allowed me to renovate not only the house, but the gardens as well. And if I could only get a little rain here (and not that scattered shower stuff the weatherpeople tease me about), I might have time enough at last to sit back and breathe that sigh of relief that eludes my clutches.
Oh, and did I mention how HOT it was here? It's HOT, HOT, HOT! Now I know why they call my city Hotlanta. The dog days of summer have arrived, and we are seriously in trouble. Not only are the water levels low, but watering flowers has become a skill for the sneaky. Currently I could get in serious trouble if caught watering.... but then, it pays to be nice to my neighbors (which I am). They won't turn me in, but the water police that patrol the town will gladly bust me. As an incentive to turn your neighbor in, they have issued a reward system of $100.00 per actual conviction.... and let me tell you, the state is making a killing on this. The average fine is $200.00 (after the first warning), and shut off on the third violation. Good thing my yard sits under a cloud of heavy maple and oak trees..... it makes the sneaking so much easier. I have found another way to get around "the man", and it includes filling up many plastic gallon jugs of water. How do they know I haven't actually purchased bottled water if I get caught, eh? But then, I have a great relationship with the neighbors, so my worries are minimal at best.
So...... back to time, and all the ticking away that was stolen from my day. I hereby again apologize for the absence to your blogs, the absence to my own blog, and the fact that no matter how well I can multi-task, 24 hours gets shorter everyday. Dammit... it's just not fair!
Well, I haven't typed a word in three months, now you can't get me to shut up. I am my own quagmire. At least I can cross blogging off the list today (finally)..... but then I have to get going anyway. All the reading I did today, and the post here, took me away from my JOB, and now I need to catch up there. Can you believe it's almost 9:00, and I am still answering phones, and taking orders for catering? I still have next weeks caterings to write out...... or maybe I'll just let it slide to the side and finish it up after watering in the morning. After all, tomorrow (Saturday) is another 24 hour day. And besides, the Braves are battling the Phillies tonight. It's 4 to 4 in the 6th. Go Braves! It's the only game I've been able to watch this year so far. Gotta love baseball, and one must really make time to watch a game.
Have a wonderful weekend, y'all!

7 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Welcome back to the land of the living. Sorry bout those Phillies winning. NOT! Sweep anyone?

Sometimes you just need to take a break and recharge. I really did miss your entries. Hopefully you're back now. Or I'll have to start the vigil again. And I'll whip out the megaphone!

I got the visual of you wearing a black burglar costume sneaking through your yard to water your plants and flowers. Quite funny.

If you disappear again Happy early birthday. *smootch* Love ya!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

10:17 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
You know what they say about baseball, right? It ain't over till it's over. My Braves have a way of coming back even with the worst of odds. Sure would be nice to have Glavin and the old pitching team back again though.

I'll do the best I can to keep up so you don't have to pull out the megaphone... I'd rather you pull out the cloning machine though.

Hmmmmm.... burglarwear. Good
idea. I'll have to look into that!

Take care, swwetie!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
Woops.... missed the last remark you made. Thanks for the B-day wishes (ugh, 50 this time around!).
I should be back before then, as I have to wish you a happy one the next day. Too funny that we have side-by-side b-days!

xo~

7:56 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Ellen - Thanks, my cloning machine is in the shop with the JBI time machine. They are waiting on parts. ;)

7:21 AM  
Blogger Skye said...

Well hello stranger! J/K. It is good to see you back, I 've really missed your great story telling talent.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

neo~
Ain't that just like machines? Never working well when you need them, and always waiting on parts.

************

skye~
Nice to be back.... although I might have taken a little bit longer to get back than I should have.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hi I finally got the ability to visit n catch-up, n it's only September!

It IS impossible to get to everything. I usually sacrifice the sleep, n regret it the following day.

I never got to see a Cape League game due to work hours this year (darn)!

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home